Thursday, February 06, 2020

Renaming an Windows Essentials Server

I have a few servers setup with server essentials because I have some software I wanted to run on Windows server but couldn't use full server and Windows 7 and 10 were not desirable.  I recently needed to change the name on one of these servers but it was a little tricky.  As shown below the server is currently named SIP

The server to be renamed
Unfortunately, when we get the item's properties, the name and domain change is not available. 

Name and Domain change is not available.
 Edit the registry and go to the entry HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\CertSvc

Edit the registry
 You can export the key if to back it up, I have found it is not necessary.

Export the CertSvc
 Delete the CertSvc registry

Delete the CertSvc registry entry.
Once you remove the key and reboot you will then be able to change the name of the system.

Now able to rename the server

When you change the computer name you will see this warning.  If you are using AD users be careful, It did not affect the server I was using but just be mindful.

Essentials warring on renaming

After you change the name and reboot your computer name will be changed.

Name Change
After changing the name and rebooting the system we can see that our system name is changed and we can still login to the system despite the warning.

System renaming is complete

You can see my full 8 minute video on how to do this on my YouTube page https://youtu.be/DP76WpqlUFo


References
https://winadminnotes.wordpress.com/2015/11/19/renaming-the-windows-server-essentials/

How to migrate PFSense Over to KEA DHCP Server from ISC DHCP Server

I am a PFSENSE User and I manage PFSENSE for some other organizations and the time has come to make the switch for the DHCP Server over to K...