Monday, August 24, 2009

The importance of Backups


Well, it has finally happened. I have had a flash drive that has failed on me. Everyone says how dependable SSD drives and Flash Drives are but you know they are just as prone to failure as regular hard drives. My brother had a 120GB SSD die on him, another had a 8GB flash drive and I've had my 16GB OCZ Rally Drive die on me. I know it's just the luck of the draw but it still ticks you off. I had some data on the flash drive that I hadn't backed up yet I usually back it up when the drive is almost full. So what is one to do? If I still lose data and most people consider me to overly cautious for backups what are other people suppose to do when they maybe backup every year or so. I myself am running very low on hard drive space I only have 8 TB of hard drive space with backups on other hard drives and optical disks. My best solution for tech savvy people would be to suck it up and get a Drobo. (read my review of the Drobo). As for everyone else have 3 copies of everything. One on your computer that you use, One on a backup External Hard Drive and One on removable media such as DVD's or a flash drive. Maybe if your very lucky you will never have to use them but if anything ever happens at least you have your data. With hard copies (prints) of pictures, movies being digital, mp3's from itunes it is only a matter of time before consumers demand having a hard copy of their software, data, and other items they buy from the internet.

Trevor

How to fix CURL call imporitng an RSS feed on a site blocking CURL calls

There is a 3rd party service provider that my organization uses called bibliocommons.  They have these nice book carousels.  However the car...