Tuesday, June 29, 2021

How to add and remove persistent routes in windows

So at one of my organizations satellite locations we changed the VPN connection for about a half dozen clients, which were accessible from my workstation for remote access/system administration.  This changed caused this access to break.

So to update and fix my access for this systems I had to reset my routing for the satellite networks.  I setup this access using persistent routes (as I wanted to keep access after a reboot).

I used route print to verify the connections that need to be purged before I add the new ones.

To do this user powershell or the cmd prompt and type the following 

route print

and press enter

You will see your Interface List then Active routes then Persistent routes.

Interface List

Active Routes

Persistent Routes

The persistent route I want to remove is the third line shown below, we will say the network is 192.168.1.0


So to remove the route In Powershell or CMD Prompt I type 

route delete 192.168.1.0


Then to add the new route there are few things I need to know before I add the new persistent route.  I will need to know my network and gateway, that the firewall has a VPN connection with pass rules for the network and the VPN's network.  So for this post let's say the firewall is configured properly but is not routing traffic automatically.  For this post lets say that my IP is 192.168.20.87 and my gateway is 192.168.20.1.  The VPN network I want to connect to is 192.168.8.1

So I type the following in the same prompt

route -p ADD 192.168.8.0 MASK 255.255.255.0 192.168.20.1


The -p will make the connection stay after a reboot, if you don't want it to stay remove the -p and you should be able to access the other network from the VPN.


Source 

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows/adding-a-tcpip-route-to-the-windows-routing-table/

How to fix CURL call imporitng an RSS feed on a site blocking CURL calls

There is a 3rd party service provider that my organization uses called bibliocommons.  They have these nice book carousels.  However the car...