Thursday, April 16, 2026

Upgrading Windows 11 From 23H2 to 25H2 causes error 0x800f0991

 I had a heck of a time upgrading my Windows 11 Pro System from 23H2 to 25H2 and I really did not want to do a clean install.  I really shouldn't have had a problem but it was; the issue had to do with Hyper-V and Windows Subsystem for Linux.

My system is an AMD Ryzen 9 with all the bells and whistles, and it was constantly failing windows update where the error was 0x800f0991.


Running DISM & SFC did not help at all with the results displaying everything was fine with the system.  Booting from USB and trying an offline scan also proved to be useless.

I do a lot of work with Hyper-V and upgrading from 21h2 to 23H2 was painless which is why I was so puzzled why I couldn't go from 23H2 to 25H2.  I figured it had to be something with windows virtualization; it was the only thing it could be.  I have a number of 3rd party software installed a game or two but with the changes in Hyper-V, the network virtualization stack, it made the most sense that was going to be the best place to start.

So I backed up my VM's exporting them before removing Hyper-V.  I had to remove Data Center Bridging, Hyper-V, Virtual Machine Platform, Windows Hypervisor, and Windows Subsystem for Linux.

Before removing the virtualization components in windows it failed the 6 times when I tried to upgrade though a booted USB and PC Health Check.


Once that was done I was able to upgrade using PC Health Check.


Now that I'm updated to Windows 11 25H2; unfortunately Hyper-V will not work and causes a continuous boot loop.  However the upgrade to 25H2 from 23H2 worked very well so long as Hyper-V was removed.

Removing Show Recent History and Recently Open Documents from Windows Explorer

How to remove the Recent History and Recently Open Documents from Windows Explorer Using the Registry Editor Press the Windows Key + R, type...