Tuesday, March 08, 2016

Building A PFSense Firewall For Your Home

Build your own Firewall/Router with PFSense.

pfSense is an open source firewall/router computer software distribution based on FreeBSD. It is installed on a physical computer or a virtual machine to make a dedicated firewall/router for a network and is noted for its reliability and offering features often only found in expensive commercial firewalls. It can be configured and upgraded through a web-based interface, and requires no knowledge of the underlying FreeBSD system to manage. pfSense is commonly deployed as a perimeter firewall, router, wireless access pointDHCP server, DNS server, and as a VPNendpoint. pfSense supports installation of third-party packages like Snort or Squid through its Package Manager.

The system is fairly light weight an can be run on old or inexpensive hardware.  For my purpose which is a home/small business router, where I want VPN capability, squid proxy server and easy router for a web server and low power draw.

I went with a Asus J1800I-A SOC system.  It is a 2.4Ghz Dual core Celeron, and out fitted it with 4GB of DDR3L ram.

I had paid $98 for the SOC, $50 for the ram, $50 for the case and $45 for the PSU.  This SOC system has a PCI port and I used an INTEL Gigabit Adapter for the LAN port (49.99 to buy new).  I also have a 120 GB SSD for the system install.

Overall the system runs between 50 and 60% load.  The Disk usage is about 500mb for the ufs, tmp and var partition.  Memory Usage runs at about 6%.  The system is fast and easy to manage.

SOC:



Total: 284.98 + Tax

Removing Show Recent History and Recently Open Documents from Windows Explorer

How to remove the Recent History and Recently Open Documents from Windows Explorer Using the Registry Editor Press the Windows Key + R, type...