Thursday, May 07, 2026

Fixing error 401 Unauthorized IP: $IPADRESS when running apt-get on Linux

 I have a very dated VM that works as a mail forwarder for my organization, it is a Ubuntu Server VM running 20.04 LTS which connects to google workspaces and sends email for our on prem devices such as copiers, software, scripts, etc.  I went to run some security updates using apt-get and I got an interesting error saying that there is a 401 Error Unauthorized IP.


The fix is to disable the sources in the sources.list directory, which I have two files.

  • ubuntu-esm-infra.list
  • ubuntu-esm-infra.list.distUpgrade


In VI I commented out the source lines.


reinstalled apt


After I was able to update the system; and upgrade the outdated packages.  Now I can go headed and upgrade the system to the newer release.



Removing Show Recent History and Recently Open Documents from Windows Explorer

How to remove the Recent History and Recently Open Documents from Windows Explorer Using the Registry Editor Press the Windows Key + R, type...